Ducks Storm Back To Win In Lubbock

LUBBOCK, Texas — Camden Lewis made a go-ahead field goal with 1:10 remaining and Jeffrey Bassa’s ensuing pick-six clinched No. 13 Oregon’s 38-30 win Saturday over Texas Tech at Jones AT&T Stadium.
A scoreless third quarter by the Ducks (2-0) helped the Red Raiders take a 27-18 lead into the fourth quarter. But Oregon outscored Texas Tech in the fourth, 20-3 — including the final 10 points of the game — to come from behind and win.
“Really tough environment to play in,” UO coach Dan Lanning said. “A lot of teams would have lost their cool when things weren’t going well, and our guys kept their composure the entire game. And they went out and executed down the stretch.”
Bucky Irving’s rushing touchdown on the second play of the fourth got Oregon within 27-25, and the UO defense then got a turnover on downs when Texas Tech tried to go for it on fourth down in its own territory. Lewis followed with a go-ahead field goal, but the Red Raiders responded with one of their own for a 30-28 lead with 5:13 to play.
With the game on the line, Bo Nix marched the Ducks from their own 20-yard line into the red zone at Texas Tech’s end, setting up Lewis for a 34-yard field goal with 1:10 left. With the Red Raiders looking to answer in kind down 31-30, Brandon Dorlus hit former UO quarterback Tyler Shough, whose pass went straight into the arms of Bassa for an interception that was returned for a touchdown.
“It’s a blessing, first and foremost — I thank God, I thank the man upstairs,” Bassa said. “But it also comes down to the preparation that I do in practice, that we do in practice, those situations we always go through with coach Lanning. It’s just a big blessing.”
Bryan Addison picked off another desperation pass by Shough on a Hail Mary as time expired.
Nix finished 32-of-44 passing for 359 yards and two touchdowns, and ran nine times for 46 yards. Troy Franklin caught six balls for 103 yards and a score, and Bassa led the UO defense with nine tackles as well as the pick-six.
On the long touchdown drive late in the third quarter that culminated in Irving’s touchdown early in the fourth, Nix was 8-of-11 for 48 yards and ran for 17 more yards. That included a crucial 13-yard scramble to convert a third-and-11 situation, extending a drive on which Oregon completely flipped momentum in the game.
“We just started executing, and we stopped beating ourselves so much,” Nix said. “We finally put together a good drive with some explosive plays. We knew we were capable of that, we just had to be consistent with it and put it together.”
After Texas Tech scored first, Nix threw touchdown passes to Franklin and Tez Johnson in the first quarter. Tight ends Patrick Herbert and Terrance Ferguson connected on a pass for the two-point conversion after the second score, and Oregon led 18-7.
Shough’s second touchdown pass of the game made it 15-13 before Lewis hit his first of three field goals on the night in the final minute before halftime. That gave Oregon an 18-13 lead at the break, despite having committed nine first-half penalties.
“I think that game could look a lot different if we didn’t shoot ourselves in the foot so much,” Lanning said.
Shough had a rushing touchdown and his third passing TD of the night in the third quarter, as the Red Raiders took command to lead 28-17 entering the fourth. Shough finished 24-of-40 passing with 282 yards and three touchdowns, plus three interceptions. He also ran 23 times for 101 yards.
“Their quarterback,” Lanning said, “played with incredible toughness.”
The UO head coach’s team played with a whole lot as well.